At the beginning of the pandemic, in an effort to help encourage people to stay at home and play at home, many publishers and game designers released free print and play versions of their games.
At the time, we hunted around and rounded up as many of these free printable board games as we could find. Since then we’ve updated this list of free print and play card games and board games a few times.
It’s been a pretty popular list. We’ve had tons of people thank us for putting this together. So even though pandemic restrictions are easing up in most places, we are still keeping this list around.
From board games and card games to miniature games, from indie to mainstream, from expansions to standalone games, this list has a bit of everything — aka any tabletop gamer should be able to find SOMETHING to help keep them busy.
While this list is mostly print-and-play games we have also included a few free digital board games.
(Last updated July 6th, 2022).
If you’ve spotted a free print and play board game, card game or any other free tabletop goodies, that we’ve missed please let us know.
If you’re looking for sites online that allow you to play digital versions of boardgames for free, check out this article where we compare and review three of the most popular online tabletop gaming sites.
We’ve also made a list of over 50 free roleplaying games that you can download right now.
And you might like to check out this list of 25 Free Games you can play with just some standard dice; Free Printable D6 Games.
Free Print and Play Board Games and Card Games, sorted by publisher
Academe Games, and designer Uwe Eickert, are offering a Solo Mission Book for Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 with ten converted solo missions (base game required).
Angry Cyborg Games
Angry Cyborg Games has a free print and play available for their micro strategy card game, Outpost 18.
Asmadi Games has a print and play copy of the card game Red available.
They also have a print and play beta version of One Deck Galaxy available.
Asmodee is offering free print and play versions of some of their most popular family games:
- 7 Wonders Duel, solo variant
- Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger
- Choose Your Own Adventure: War with the Evil Power Master
- Concept demo
- Concept Kids, Animals demo
- Cortex Challenge Demo
- Dobble / Spot It! demo kit
- Match Up
- Rory Story Cubes demo
- Timeline Classic Demo
- Time’s Up! Kids
- Unlock! Escape Room Adventures
BFF Games is offering a free print and play version of Hidden Leaders (Read About It | Print and Play)
Bicycle has released print and play editions of It’s Blunderful, Tattoo Stories, and Pokeno. They’ve also put out Gin Rummy score sheets, a printable cribbage board, printable poker chips and more. You can find all of this on the Print and Play page of their website.
If you sign up for their newsletter, Big Potato is offering print and play versions of several of their games, including:
- Don’t Get Got: Working From Home Edition
- Mr Lister’s Quiz Shootout
- Obama Llama (UK Version) or Goat on a Boat (USA Version)
They are also offering a couple of free apps:
- Cinco Linko on Tabletopia
- Herd Mentality on Tabletopia
- Linkee (for iOS or Android)
- Umm: Super Simple Word Game (for iOS or Android)
Blue Orange Games
Blue Orange Games, and designer Bruno Cathala, are offering a free print and play expansion for Kingdomino, Kingdomino: The Court.
Blue Orange Games, and designer Bruno Cathala, are offering a free print, colour, and play edition of Okiya.
Bombyx, and game designers Bruno Cathala and Florian Sirieix, have released a two-player expert variant for the Imaginarium: Chimera expansion (you need to own both the base game and the expansion to use these new expert rules).
Button Shy Games
Button Shy has released several free Print and Play games:
- Hierarchy (B&W Kickstarter preview edition)
- Twin Stars: Adventure Series I (solo game)
- Twin Stars: SYZYGY Mode, expansion (single player campaign mode, base game required)
- Chain Mail: Base Game
- Chain Mail: The Sacred Mask Adventure Kit(base game required)
- Circle the Wagons: Wildest West and More Lone Cowboy expansion (base game required)
- Jasper and Zot (solo game)
- Nytelyfe Solitaire
- Seasons of Rice Demo/Preview
Carcassonne & Co / Hans im Glück Verlag
Carcassonne is offering Carcassonne: The Land Surveyors mini-expansion, available as a free print and play.
They are also offering solo variant rules for Carcassonne (it says “Not available for purchase” scroll down and look to the left to find the free download link).
They are also offering Hadara: The Plague Doctors mini-expansion as a free print and play.
Casual Game Revolution
Casual Game Revolution is offering a free copy of Casual Game Insider which includes a full print and play of the game Banned Books from Button Shy.
Catan Studios is offering a number of free print and play Catan scenarios and add ons:
- #WeStayHome mini expansion
- Easter Bunny scenario
- Catan First Adventure, a build and play kids’ game
- Rivals Hostel Scenario
- Two Player Scenario
All of which can be found on the Asmodee Print and Play site.
There is also a free Catan: Global Warming scenario which was self-published by designers Sam Illingworth & Paul Wake (with permission from Catan Studios).
Cheapass Games had released many of their games as free print and plays. These used to be listed on their now non-existent website. Some of the PNP files have been made available on Board Game Geek. I link to those in the list below. Most of these games require you to have some game components on hand or allow you to skip printing out some parts if you have the right things on hand (think tokens, pawns, dice, standard playing cards, etc).
- The Big Cheese (you need ten counters for each player, a set of polyhedral dice, and a way to keep score)
- Button Men
- Deadwood (you need money, poker chips, penny-sized counters, a handful of D6 plus distinct D6 for each player)
- Devil Bunny Needs a Ham (you need two or three counters for each player and two or three D6)
- Fish Cook (separate links for boards | cards | counters | rules (you need money, seven D6, one pawn, optionally also thirty counters each in six colours or print the counters provided)
- Gold Digger
- Kill Doctor Lucky (you need a pawn for each player plus a pawn for Doctor Lucky)
- Lord of the Fries
- Palomino Poker (you need a standard deck of cards and some poker chips)
- Pennywise (can use coins or printable tokens)
- Poker Suite (rules for 14 original games to play with a standard deck of cards)
- Renfield (you need paper money or poker chips)
- Spree! (you need two pawns for each player, two D6, and two decks of standard playing cards)
- Tak (you need game pieces, checkers can work)
- Timeline (you need five pawns and twenty coloured chips)
- Tishai (you need the pieces from a Chess set)
- Unexploded Cow (you need a D6 and some money)
- Witch Trial (you need one counter, two D6 and money)
- Young Jacob Marley (you need paper money or poker chips and six tokens)
CMON has released a print and play edition of Foodies, while it is technically free to download they ask that you make a donation to support NAACP.
They have also released a full print and play version of the out of print Xenoshift: Onslaught.
CMON has released a print and play “taster” version of Dream On, Dream On: Afternoon Nap Version.
They have also released a number of other print and plays expansions and scenarios:
- Arcadia Quest Solo Mode, Version 1.3
- scenario for Massive Darkness, The Cure.
- an additional print and play set for XenoShyft, The Brood.
- CMON has also made Airship City, available for free on Tabletop Simulator.
Concrete Canoe Games
Concrete Canoe is offering a Black and White Kickstarter preview version for several games:
Crab Fragment Labs
Designer James Ernest of Crab Fragment Labs is offering a print and play dice game called Ducks in a Bucket (you will need five dice in a matching colour plus one more die in a different colour).
They are also offering a free print and play English edition of Gloria Mundi (open beta version two of the Rio Grande classic).
Crab Fragment Labs also has print and play alpha or beta versions of several other games including:
- After the Fog
- Agents of the Crown
- Pirate’s Bluff
- Shipwrights of Marino
- Letter Boxing
Yardmaster from Crash Games is currently out of print, but you can grab this print and play copy off of Board Game Geek.
Cubicle 7 Entertainment
Cubicle 7 is offering Tugboats, a free two-player family friendly card game (Print and Play | Tabletop Simulator).
Czech Games Edition
Czech Games is offering a print and play edition of Under Falling Skies (Rules | Regular Size Cards | Oversized Cards).
They have also released single-player variant rules for both Adrenaline and Sanctum.
As well, they have put out a video that details instructions for playing Codenames over the internet (you need to own a copy of the game), as well as a video that shows how to play Trapwords remotely (again, you need to own the game).
They have also released a digital version of Codenames Duet. Yes, you can play full games of Codenames Duet online for free.
Czech Games has also released new solo content for Lost Ruins of Arnak as well as a print and play solo campaign for Lost Ruins of Arnak (you will need to own the base game to play).
They have also released a solo variant for Codenames. You will need a copy of the game to play.
Days of Wonder
Days of Wonder, and game designer Sebastian Pauchon, are offering a Free Print & Play version of Corinth.
They are also offering a 1-3 player pdf scenario for Deep Blue, The Captain Returns (base game required).
As well as solo variant rules for Five Tribes (base game required).
Days of Wonder, and game designer Alan R. Moon, are offering a special print and play Stay At Home expansion for Ticket to Ride (base game required).
Need a friend to play with? Alexa can play against you on your copy of Ticket to Ride or Ticket to Ride Europe (If you don’t have an Alexa device, you can download Alexa on your phone.) Say: “Alexa launch Ticket to Ride”. (Haven’t tried this personally, not sure about the details of how it works?).
Direwolf Wolf Digital
Direwolf Wold Digital is offering new solo rules for Eternal: Chronicles of the Throne (base game required).
Dr. Finn’s Games
Dr. Finn’s Games is offering a new mini-expansion for Cosmic Run: Regeneration, the Ternion Expansion Pack, as a free print and play.
They are also offering a two-player print and play adaptation of Let Them Eat Shrimp! called Let Them Eat Shapes!
Elf Creek Games
Elf Creek games is offering a Print and Play expansion for Atlantis Rising Second Edition (requires base game, free / pay what you want with proceeds going to WHO’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund).
Eurydice Games is offering their Zombology Card Game as a free print and play.
Evan’s Games is offering a free print and play version of their newest game, Lucky Dog.
Fabricate.IO is offering a free print and play of their roleplaying card game, Expedition.
Facade Games is offering a print and play version of Tortuga 1667.
Fantasy Flight is offering several Keyforge print and play options:
- Impossible Print and Play Decks
- Mass Mutation Print and Play Decks (Read About It | Quick Start Rules)
- Keyforge Adventures (Read About It)
- Rise of the Keyraken (Read About It | Rules)
- Rise of the Keyraken (Keyraken Card | Keyraken Card Back |Deck Card Backs | Card Pool | Tide Card)
- Abyssal Conspiracy (Read About It | Rules)
- Abyssal Conspiracy (Locations | Seal Cards | Tide Cards | Card Pool | Card Backs | Seal Tableau)
- Keyforge Rulebook
- Printable Keyforge Tokens (Side A | Side B)
Fantasy Flight is also offering a printable challenge scenario and parallel investigator for Arkham Horror: The Card Game, Read or Die with Daisy Walker (Arkham Horror The Care Game Core Set and The Dunwich Legacy Deluxe Expansion are both required to play)
They have also published tips for playing Arkham Horror The Card Game remotely (you need to own the game), as well as tips for building your deck for a solo campaign of Arkham Horror The Card Game (again, you need to own the game).
Fantasy Flight has released a new solo variant for Civilization: A New Dawn.
They have also released another new parallel investigator for print-and-play: “Skids” O’Toole with the All or Nothing challenge scenario.
Five 24 Labs is offering several of their “mint tin” games, including Mint Control (with solo mode), Mint Cooperative, Mint Works and Mint Delivery.
Free League Publishing
Free League is offering a printable demo version of Tales From the Loop: The Board Game (Read About It | Print and Play)
Gamewright is offering a print and play version of Metro X (Rules | Print and Play).
They are also offering a print and play edition of Splurt!
They have also released a special social-distancing Sneaky Cards deck to play at home.
Good Games Publishing
Good Games Publishing has full print and play versions available for several of their games:
- Alien, B-movie, Dinosaur, and Western expansions for Unfair
- Comic Book, Hacker, Kaiju, Ocean expansions for Unfair
Good Little Games
Good Little Games is a collection of free games published by Brett J. Gilbert & Matthew Dunstan, co-designers of ‘Elysium’, ‘Costa Rica, ‘Pyramids and ‘Professor Evil and the Citadel of Time’.
You can take a look at their website to check out the full list of free print and plays that they’ve produced.
Here are a few that caught my eye:
Hemisphere Games is offering a print and play of Karmaka, a unique card game that plays out over multiple lives.
Institute of Digital Games (University of Malta)
The University of Malta is offering a print and play game called Construction Boom!
Interformic Games has published a PDF containing variant rules for several classic games, including RISK, Clue, Axis & Allies and Acquire (you will need a copy of the original game to play the variant rules).
They also have a variety of print and play games available:
- Access Denied
- GRO: Battle for the Petri Dish
- Hidden Empires II (each player controls an ant colony)
- Space Opera
Jelly Bean Games
Jellybean Games has a variety of games available for Print and Play:
- Night of the Mummy (Rules | Cards)
- Goblin Teeth
- Meow! Kitten Kabal (for families and younger players)
- Meow! The Cult of Cat (gamer version of Meow!)
- Jabberwocky, a collection of games
- Dracula’s Feast (Cards | Card Backs | Rules)
- Dracula’s Feast: New Blood (Rules | Cards)
- Hidden Panda
- Village Pillage (Rules | Cards)
- Show & Tile (Rules | Cards)
- The Lady and the Tiger (Cards & Tokens for five games in one, Doors | Favor | Hoard | Labyrinth | Traps)
Kids Table Board Gaming
Kids Table Board Gaming is offering a free print and play version of Food Fighters.
Kolossal, and designer Chris Hamm, are offering a special Print and Play edition of Totemic with both standard and solo play rules (Print and Play | Rules).
French publisher KYF Edition has released an English Language print and play version of Fou, Fou, Fou!
Lucky Duck Games
Lucky Duck is offering a free print and play, Chronicles of Crime: The Power Behind. You can play this without owning Chronicles of Crime. (Print and Play | Rules)
MAD Games Ltd.
MAD Games is offering a print and play version of their latest Kickstarter game, Division: Throne Room.
Mantic Games is offering a free digital edition of Project Pandora: Grim Cargo for the Star Sage Core game (you will need a copy of Star Saga and additional miniatures to play, you can grab a free copy of the Star Saga rules right here).
Mantic also has free digital versions available for the rules for all of their various miniature battle games (Armada, Kings of War, Deadzone, Vanguard, Dreadball, etc).
Motor City Gameworks
Motor City Gameworks and Dice Hate Me Studios are offering a free print and play of Tiny Farms (Rules | Game)
Nuts! is offering a print and play version of The Picrocholine Wars (Download | Read About It).
They are also offering a print and play demo of Mini Rogue (Download | Read About It).
Nuts! has also released a free print and play version of 300: Thermopylae, which uses components from 300: Earth & Water(but you can probably substitue for bits on hand) (Download | Read About It).
If you would like to test out Fitna: Global War in the Middle East you can download the free Vassal module (look under RESOURCES).
Odam Publishing is offering a print and play demo of Card Weaver.
One Free Elephant
One Free Elephant is offering a print and play of their “mint tin” game, Microbrew.
Out of Order Games
Out of Order Games is offering a print and play of Bloc by Bloc (you will need lots of wooden cubes on hand to play this one).
paradigmQ (a Portland based escape room) is offering Search of Sasquatch, a free digital escape room that you can play through at home.
Plaid Hat Games
Plaid Hat Games has released a solo mode variant for Abomination: The Heir of Frankenstein.
They also have a pdf download for a Stuffed Fables add-on story, Lost Story #1.
Player Lair is offering Satchel: A Journey Unknown as a Free / Pay What You Want print and play.
Portal Games is offering free print and play scenarios for several of their games:
- Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game, Suburbia standalone scenario (can be played without the base game)
- Empires of the North, 3 solo scenarios
- Neuroshima Hex 3.0, thematic plot board for Sand Runners with additional non-tournament rules
- Imperial Settlers: Roll & Write, a promo sheet for 2 players
- Imperial Settlers: Roll & Write, special Halloween sheet
- Imperial Settlers: Roll & Write, special game convention promo sheets
- Pret-a-Porter, 3 additional scenarios (2 of which were originally Kickstarter exclusives)
- First Martians, new alternative building upgrades
- 51st States, 4 additional faction boards
Renegade Game Studios
Renegade, and designer Shem Phillips, are offering a free print-and-play crew expansion for Explorers of the North Seas (this supports solo play and also works with the Rocks of Ruin expansion).
Roll & Write Games
Roll & Write Games is offering several free print and play roll and write games, all available in both Spanish and English:
- Marvel Ultimate Spiderman Sinister Roll & Write
- Temple Antics
- Lightning and Thunder
- Gotham War Dice
- Gotham War Dice 2: League of Assassins vs Birds of Prey
- Pandemain: I stay in Nördlingen
- StarCraft Roll & Write
- War Dice Inhumanoids Expansion
Roxley is offering a two-player print and play demo version of Dice Throne (you will need ten D6 to play).
Scorpion Masque is offering a free print and play version of Decrypto.
Smart Play Games
Smart Play Games is offering Pencil Park, 2020 Edition: Pipsburg & Inkstanbul as a free print and play.
Space Cowboys is offering a print and play version of Splendor.
Space Cowboys is also offering a free print and play of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (one full case from The Thames Murders box).
They are also offering print and play resource for remote play of all three of the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective game (one player must own a copy of the game to play, others can join in remotely by printing up their own copies of the clues etc): The Thames Murders | Carlton House & Queen’s Park | Jack the Ripper
As well as a free print and play of T.I.M.E. Stories Revolution (full demo Time Stories game that they normally run at conventions: Damien, 1958).
Storm Chaser Games
Storm Chaser Games is offering a print and play “sampler” edition of Medium.
Story Machine Games
Story Machine Games is offering several free print and play games including:
- 46 (Print and Play)
- 100 Things (Print and Play)
- Rosetta: The Lost Language demo edition (Print and Play)
- Starline Industries (Print and Play |Online Card App)
- Wordslap (Print and Play)
- Hex Code (Print and Play)
- Roll to Escape (Player Sheet | Rules and Cards | App)
- 12 Parsecs (Print and Play)
They continue to add new games, keep an eye on their webpage.
Sunrise Tornado Game Studio
Sunrise Tornado Game Studio is offering a special Roll for Nile edition of Cat Sudoku (Print and Play | Rules).
Tabletop Gaming Magazine
Tabletop Gaming Magazine is offering 14 free microgames that you can print and play.
- Ghost Writer by Jay Iles
- Ninja vs Robot by Experimental Playground
- Space Planes by Glenn Ford
- Passenger by Zachariah Zark
- Sports Mutants by Noah Eadie
- The Witch Is Dead by Rowan, Rook and Decard
- What Have You Done? RUN, NUN, RUN! by Matt Bear Jones
- Wreckdivers by Tim Barribeau
- Islanders by Anna Blackwell
- The Holy Moutain by Elizabeth and Jay Iles
- Death in Venice by Côme Martin
- Secret Squirrels by Anna Blackwell
- The New Gods of Babel by Brian Molina
- Word Wars by Anna Blackwell
Tasty Minstrel Games
TMG has a print and play version of Coin Age available.
Thunderworks Games is offering a solo varient for Bullfrogs.
USAopoly is offering printable solo rules for Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle.
Wiz Kids has released a free print and play edition of Super-Skill Pinball Roll & Write, Carniball table.
You can also check out this how to play video.
Wiz Kids has also put out a free print and play version of Time Barons.
Worldshapers is offering a free print and play game, Witching Weald (Rules | Print and Play).
XYZ Game Labs
XYZ Game Labs is offering a free print and play of their Robotlab Card Card (Read About It | Print and Play)
Z-Man Games is offering both Pandemic: Hot Zone – North America and Pandemic: Hot Zone – Europe as free print and plays.
Z-Man Games is offering a print and play version of Love Letter: Sender. (This is a modern spoof on Love Letter which was released on April 1st. However, it is not just a joke and is truly available as PnP.)
You can also find a printable version of the original Love Letter on the Asmodee website.
Designer Matt Leacock has released rules and tips for running a Pandemic Survival tournament over Zoom (each party taking part needs a copy of the game).
Z-Man Games is also offering printable solo rule variants for several of their games (for each of these you will need the base game):
Game Designers offering free PNP Board Games & Card Games
- Designer Alex Bardy is offering a black and white print and play version of his deck-building game, Aliens Ate My Planet (Read About It | Print and Play).
- Designers Ben Crenshaw and Chris Pallace have released a print and play version of Numbers League.
- Designer Benjamin Schultz is offering CLOU Roll & Heist as a free print and play (Rules | Scenarios | Characters).
- Designer Blaž Gracar is offering CoronaLine, a 2-player paper-and-pencil game.
- Designer Bruno Cathala is offering PQltistes as a free print and play (PQ is a French term for toilet paper, this is a silly game about Toilet Paper Wars, the rules are in French)
- Designer Dan Ackerman is offering the Deluxe Print and Play version of Techlandia (Read About It | Print and Play).
- Designer Frederic Moyersoen is offering The Black Rat as a free print and play (unpublished prototype).
- Designer Isaac Shalev is offering a free print and play of his dice-drafting roll-and-write, Mosaic.
- Designer Jake Staines is offering a free print and play, Maquis.
- Designer Lachlan Kingsford has released a print and play for 18Dracula, an 18xx game with a kooky theme.
- Designer Mads Fløe is offering a print and play, Vaccine: An Anti-Viral Board Game.
- Designer Mark Tuck is offering a free print and play of Orchard: 9 Card Solitare Game.
- Designer Rachel Bruner is offering a free print and play, Royal Espionage.
- Designer Stephen B Davies is offering a free print and play, The Lucky Penny Diner.
- The creators of Kaleidos released their game as a free print and play. The rules are in Italian, but you can find an English edition of the rulebook here.
- The creators of Oh, Sheep! are offering their card game as a free print and play.
- Designers Pedro Kerouac, Orlando Sá, and André Santos are offering PAPER ROLL & Write, a free roll and write game about hoarding toiler paper (Rules | Game).
Free Print and Play Miniature Battle Games and Resources, sorted by publisher
CMON has released First in Battle: A Mini-Campaign for A Song of Ice and Fire: Tabletop Miniature Game (Beta mode).
Fantasy Flight has released an Open Alpha of solo rules for Star Wars: X-Wing (and yes that refers to single player mode and not a certain popular smuggler).
Interformic has several print and play games available:
- Breakable (futuristic air and ground combat)
- Turn or Burn (space fighter combat)
- Unbreakable (futuristic ground combat)
Mantic Games is offering a free digital edition of the Deadzone: Nexus Psi supplement, which includes rules for solo play (you will need a copy of the Deadzone rules to play, which you can grab for free right here).
Osprey Games is offering Frostgrave: Perilous Dark Sample Section which includes 3 solo scenarios and advice on creating your own solo scenarios (base game required).
They are also offering free PDFs of solo rules for Zona Alfa (base game required) and solo/co-op rules for Last Days: Zombie Apocalypse (base game required).
Pulp Alley is offering free pdfs of their rulebook, starter deck, solo deck, horror deck, counters and character cards (you will need some miniatures and dice).
Tabletop Gaming Themed Printable Colouring Sheets & Activity Books
- BattleTech: Activity Book
- Catan coloring sheets (left hand side bar, click on Coloring Pages)
- Frosthaven coloring sheets
- Stuffed Fables Coloring Book (includes two new characters)
Looking for more free games to play at home?
We’ve also made a list of over 50 free roleplaying games that you can download right now.
And you might like to check out this list of 25 Free Games you can play with just some standard dice; Free Printable D6 Games.
I want Yahtzee dice games card games, Texas Hold-em Poker. I just don’t want to pay for them I want them free.
Seems like you came to the right place.
Thanks for the comment,
add agent decker and cortica at https://gr9yfox.itch.io/ ?